Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Aloo bhaji


A thought comes to my mind often - 'Am i really a south Indian?'

Mangalorean breakfasts are popular worldwide. Every south Indian family have their own typical dishes for breakfast and these recipes are loved throughout the world, and my house is no exception. But... i am. I do not like south Indian breakfasts as much as any other south Indian would do! No offence to anyone but its something which i have not been able to figure out. Everybody in my family drools over it, but fortunately or unfortunately i dont! :p

When there is a south Indian dish for breakfast, i have something else made for myself. Aloo bhaji is one such option. My Ammi makes this and its sure for grabs, ALWAYS.We team it with chapathi or rice roti and it is heart and tummy filling! :)

What we will need :

Potatoes / Aloo : 6 medium
Eggs :1
Mustard seeds : 1/2 tsp
Urad daal /split black beans:1/2 tsp
Green chillies : 3
Chopped onions: 4 medium
Turmeric/ Haldi powder: 1/2 tsp
Red chilli powder: 1 tsp
Garam masala powder: 1/2 tsp
Salt to taste
Oil : 3 tbsp

Method:

1. Heat oil in a pan. Add in mustard seeds, urad daal and fry for a minute.

2. Add chopped onions and stir fry till its about to start getting brown.

3. Add in chopped potato cubes and fry for about a minute. Make sure you do not mash it.

4. Add salt, red chilli powder, split green chillies, garam masala powder, haldi powder and stir fry for two mins.

5. Add a cup of water and pressure cooker it for one whistle.

6. Once its cooled, add a beaten egg to the aloo bhaji and mix well.

7. Garnish with coriander leaves.

Serve hot with chapathi or rice roti.



Aloo Ki Bhaji on FoodistaAloo Ki Bhaji

7 comments:

  1. Love this bhaji!! Made it just yester & we alwayz relish this simple & delicious bhaji with puris..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aloo bhaji is my hubby's favorite , he just loooves his poori n bhaji..looks absolutely delicious, the addition of egg sounds interesting!
    Thanks for visiting me, you have a beautiful space here.I'll be back often :)

    US Masala

    ReplyDelete
  3. my fav. i love to have with poori.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really like your recipes here.I came across your site from the foodieblogroll and I'd love to guide Foodista readers to your site. I hope you could add this aloo bhaji widget at the end of this post so we could add you in our list of food bloggers who blogged about Aloo Bhaji,Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Alisa! :)I have added the widget too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for the lovely entry mehnaz... see you at the round up..

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments. I appreciate your thoughts and points of view.

All spam and mean comments will be deleted promptly

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...