And i got this so awesome time to learn cooking from her! :D Here goes the recipe for clams dumplings, which is one classic dish of Gangolli, that i learnt from her and prepared!
Clams / Khubbe : 1 kg
For clams masala:
Roasted red chillies : 4-5
Turmeric powder : 1 tsp
Fennel seeds/ saunf : 1 tbsp
Ginger : 1/2 inch
Salt to taste
Grind all the above to a very fine paste.
For the dumplings:
Katsambhar rice/ Par boiled rice : 2 cups
Coconut grated : 1
Salt : 1/2 tsp
Chopped onions : 1
Chopped coriander leaves : 2 tbsp
Grind the rice, coconut and little salt to a coarse paste. It should not be too thin nor too thick. If it is too thin it wont be easy to fill inside the clams, so it is required that the paste should be fairly thick.
Once the mixture is removed from the blender, add the chopped onions and coriander leaves and mix well.
My naanu's tip: Add 2 tbsp clams masala into this mixture and mix. It makes the dumplings more tastier ;)
Now for the assembling:
1. Wash and cut open the clams.
2. Keep them overturned for sometime so that the water in it is all drained out.
3. Cover the inside of the clams with the masala. DO NOT FILL. Just layer it once.
4. Fill in the dumpling mixture into the clams.
5. Place all the clams one by one inside a tandoor. This dish requires the clams to be cooked through steam, that is why we use the tandoor to cook the clams.
6. We usually keep it for around 30 minutes. You can check if its is cooked by inserting a knife and to see it comes out clean.
Linking this post to an event hosted by Sujana's World - Her event ' Celebrating regional cuisine'